Sunday 9 October 2011

Confessions of a Mud logger

I just took a job as a mud logger early September. All throughout school I thought to myself, if only I was graduated I wouldn't have to go to school anymore and move away. It is a harsh reality that takes place when you graduate and you realize that most people that graduate with your degree have to get a masters or they will be doing practicly the same job for years and years. Mud logging is not one of those jobs that you would really desire to have for that long. It is not a hard job by any means. If you took an introductory geology class and remember the material you could do this job. When you take a job like this there are certain pros and certain cons. Pros could be that you get paid (pretty well) to do a job that practicly any moron could do while in down time (which is more often than not) you can watch movies, sleep, read, etc... You can do a lot of things except for leave the site! Cons would be that you have a very rough work schedule and you are always away from family and loved ones. The work schedule could be that you only get 5 days off in a month; on top of that, you are so far away from friends and family that it would take you an entire day to drive to where you want to go, so one day to get there and one day to return makes for really 3 days of time that you can spend in rest and relaxation.

I would encourage anyone who is interested in this field to speak with someone who has been there. There is usually a dying inside me that wants to have someone know my heart and speak to it. Life on an oil rig is much like that of a hermit if you permit it to be so. Most mud loggers remain in their trailor and just watch movies: I guess we do it because there usually is nothing better to do. I love to read and I love to learn, so reading old textbooks, the bible, and biblical commentaries are some of the things I occupy my time with now. Another thing about being out on an oil rig is that you come to find out who really cares for you; when I say that I mean that some people still remember you and still desire to be a part of your life. Let's face it, nobody wants to feel alone. At the innermost core of all loneliness is a deep and powerful yearning for union with one's lost self. The lost self seeks reconcilation that seems to be something only to be seen, not felt.

I will end this blog with hope. As with my life I have a hope that this temporal life will end with a new beginning to a life that is eternal and everlasting in the presence of Christ in all fullness.

No comments:

Post a Comment